Active Ageing Exercise Instructor (55+) (3 posts)
This role is based at one of HILS four sites (St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, Letchworth or Ware) and agreed with successful candidate. Exercise sessions will be delivered to clients in their own homes and within community group settings. The successful candidate may be required on occasion to travel to all HILS sites where HILS’ health and wellbeing services are operating. The post holder’s case load will cover HILS’ clients across all of Hertfordshire.
During the COVID-19 pandemic the post holder will be required to work from home. When visiting clients in their own homes they will be expected to adhere to all safety guidelines and PPE regulations.
£9.50 per hour
Hours of Work:
37 hours per week 8am – 6pm Monday to Sunday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required, or negotiated. Specific timing of hours of work to be agreed with the Service Lead, flexible working applications will be considered.
No direct line management responsibility
Internal and external customers; clients; Active Ageing Team; Support Teams.
This role is a key part of HILS Active Ageing programme, which is designed to improve the health and wellbeing of frail, elderly, disabled, and vulnerable clients living at home.
The Active Ageing Exercise instructors will be responsible for these elements of the programme:
- Complete simple evaluations of clients’ current physical health and fitness at the start of the programme, and at the end of the programme, in order to measure progress
- Discuss the clients’ goals and objectives for the programme
- Deliver weekly sessions of chair-based or strength and balance exercises for clients in their homes or virtually via video call.
- Delivering group sessions within the community
- Encouraging clients to increase their level of physical activity, while ensuring their safety at all times
- To communicate effectively and confidentially with to clients to identify their personal
fitness objectives (e.g. to increase mobility, to improve capacity for self-care) and
identify their current level of physical health by completing the Active Ageing
- To report any concerns about client wellbeing or ability to complete the exercises to
the Health & Wellbeing Services Lead, or Exercise Specialists
- To attend to clients in their homes and lead chair-based and strength and balance
exercises, offering encouragement and support while ensuring their personal safety
- Agree realistic goals with clients, and monitor and evaluate progression whilst
continually motivating to increase adherence to the programme.
- Maintain and regularly update client information to provide data to contribute to a
timely monitoring and evaluation process.
- Ensuring that all paperwork is correctly administrated and passed on the appropriate
team member to preserve client confidentiality and data protection.
- Provide a non-judgemental, understanding and caring environment for clients to
share their concerns and build trust
- Demonstrate HILS values by being conscientious and supportive of clients and
other team members
- To have regard for the duty of care of information (with particular reference to the Data Protection Act) gained during the course of employment that relates to other employees, the public, contractors, etc.
- To ensure that excellent standards of customer care and service are maintained when dealing with members of the public and internal customers.
- To take responsibility, whilst at work, to preserve and enhance health and safety. To be familiar with the health and safety aspects of the work and avoid contact which would put at risk the health and safety of clients, team members and other people including visitors, contractors and members of the public.
For full job description and how to apply, please visit https://hertsindependentliving.org/vacancies/